Skip to main content

Book Fair 2020 - What's new



What kind of pain would carry pleasure?

Ask me, I would say it is the pain of thirst in a reader as eyes fly across piles of books. Yes, I was at my favourite place this weekend, the one every reader waits eagerly for - the 43rd Chennai Book Fair 2020! What a great way to start the year!

I am a reader who rarely sticks to an author, but later last year, I fell head over heels in love with Jeffrey Archer's writing when I read his novel Sins of the Father, Part 2 of the Clifton Chronicles.
I was starving and knew I wouldn't have the heart to separate. I kept my search alive and was determined to stock up for the upcoming year.

My eyes scanned all stalls for interesting novels I could go home with and got my hands on everything I saw and relished it to the most. I forgot to add, today is exactly a year from my first time at the Chennai Book Fair, which is where I met Meera ma'am for the first time. Unfortunately, Meera ma'am couldn't be here this year. But, ma'am, I am very happy for you and you inspire me everyday to do better. I still remember your words, "Don't say 'I will try', say 'I will'." These words led me to publishing Solitude and eventually writing for magazines and newspapers. And as you say, the rest is Mayaakatha.

This year's book fair, what caught my eyes was the Keezhadi excavation section, which provided needed insight into this intriguing subject. I am usually crowd-o-phobic and I still am, but the excitement and suspense in me did not get dampened on the way.

In my honest opinion, I was a tad disappointed with this year's book fair, considering the vast difference in collection. Of what I remember, the book fair held last year had much more variety in collection and was a little more interesting to me. Last year, the book fair held new books form debut authors and was perked up with diversity that could match every reader's taste. I think, this year, the book fair lacked this diversity and liveliness and half the books I found this year were ones I already saw here last year.

A difference that I saw this year was the increasing number of secondhand book stalls in the book fair. One could get his hands on titles unheard of, from these stalls. A negative that I experienced is the randomness of the books. My kind request to the people in charge would be to segregate the books in these stalls either by the authors or by genres.

I was looking forward to meet more authors and people in the literature field, but I couldn't. I was also expecting more stalls of Neelam, something I enjoyed visiting last year. Nonetheless, I came home with several books I had been meaning to devour. In the last few stalls, I found a vast collection of Paulo Coelho and Jeffrey Archer.

Overall in my experience, I would say, most book stalls had a repetitive collection of bestsellers of the last two years. I was looking forward to seeing more variety and diversity, but this year's book fair, in my opinion, fell short of my expectations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Quiet Hours Doodling

(Doodle by author) Those strokes hold some power over my soul. Every stroke of black ink on the paper carries my flow of zen. I feel my zen flowing through the bold lines of ink, as it seeps into the thin paper and leaves an imprint on the next page, like a faint footprint of time on a page left unwritten, a sliver of the blank pages of the future. I feel my throbbing anger, roaming curiosity and emotion trapped within drain from my veins and flow out like ink. It calms the raging storm within, liberates the compressed frustration, when emotion and doubt cloud my sight, when I cannot quite find answers to questions within. I let it take form. I let my mind and soul wander on paper, and they imprint traces of great wars fought in turmoil. I let the strokes clash into one another; some overshadow others, some lie far apart. Yet, the raw self cannot bear rules. I let the imperfections rule the paper, and that is what makes me raw, real and human. In the end, the wild strokes embrace and I...

Baby footprints on time

Hello readers! Here's some really exciting and heartwarming news - Fledgling is turning one! No matter how many things we have done or achieved, those 'first-times' always capture a special place in our hearts. That first-time element is what drove me to write this thoughtful letter to my soul. This post marks one of my most emotional moments, hitting a new milestone with my most cherished partner in this journey, my dear Fledgling. It's been a year since we hatched open, taking a first glimpse of the outside world as soft sunshine peeked in at dawn. Now, before we knew it, we had started flying across the cliffs! It has been an amazing roller-coaster ride this year, definitely not one without potholes and bumps. But the thrill of turning one with something I hadn't even considered urges me to write more and more, as thoughts and feelings gush through. This journey has been a passionate one and we have also remarkably improved over the months of over ...

Saffron

The snow of the mountains, still Bear the scarlet stains of your final act, The crisp, solemn winter air of Pinglan, still Stands a witness to the last moments of greatness. Even on your human case crumbling, The brilliance of your sacrifice Shone through the valiant bullet wounds. No matter the ages that trudge through, The rousing drum of your strength, Bravery amid paralysing pain, Strength amid the chaos, The sincerity of your offering, Like that of the great Kunwar Singh, Will echo in my heart for a lifetime. Your willing welcome of the last second, Pushes me to transcend the trivialities of life, And readily sacrifice what man holds on to, For a purpose greater than myself Or anything that I call my own. The unfathomable love and pride you nurtured For the soil that we shared, Stirs my soul to rise to the occasion, And fight till the very end,  Even if it meant sacrificing myself. As you arrived home, after months of separation Wrapped in streaks of saffron and emerald, Our h...