Skip to main content

Captured



Dawn had set in. The feathery clouds, as if with no burden, floated gently over the vast blue meadow. The robins sang their old sweet song, a feast to the ears. The stream, as usual, broke into peals of laughter while quenching the thirst of the pale lilies and daffodils. The soft yet warm sunshine hit the eyelashes of young Richard, relieving him from a deep slumber. He stretched, twisted and yawned, only to be greeted by his tiny mates, the robins. He whispered gently into their ears in hushed tones, some sort of delicate secret that does not wish to be disclosed.


Richard, probably a young lad of thirteen, was an extremely introverted teen who enjoyed the company of the soft darkness he had created around himself.
He had silky brown hair that loosely fell over his forehead. The freckles on his face seemed to reveal his nature - secretive yet noticeable. He had brown  dreamy eyes that had an unknown end in its depth, unlike his parents' bright blue eyes.



He lived in Stanley Orphanage of Charity under the supervision of Ms. Margaret, the matron. He absolutely hated the bland, watery food which made his stomach go for a toss. The very sight of the matron angered him, but it was soon replaced by a sigh of helplessness and captivity. The feeling made him want to escape, wriggle off from the tight grip of this uneasy feeling. It made him yearn for his long-lost parents, for whom he had never felt an urge to think about and reminisce his terrible past. All he had was a blurred, tattered old photograph of his parents, which was the only clue to how his parents looked like. He felt like a rebel, who was refused his rights.



The window creaked open. Cool breeze rushed in, as if it wanted to fill the emptiness in his whirling mind. He was firm with his decision. This was his chance, he reminded himself. He held the window sill tight, assuring himself that this was the last time he was going to experience the pain of this hell.

He hushed and quietly tip-toed along the corridor, careful not to attract any attention. Meanwhile, he imagined the expression the Matron would have in the morning and chuckled in glee.


It was his first whiff of independence. The chill breeze filled him with confidence and courage, readying him to face anything, come what may.

He took a deep breath, making up his mind and walked slowly over the roof. His inevitable fear and anxiety returned, in an effort to smother his newly- found courage but he shook it off. The raging fire in him did not allow him to do so.



He shut his eyes tight and clenched his fists hard, trying to balance on the wire. Somehow, he managed to cross over. He heaved a sigh of relief.


He ran and ran, away from the orphanage, laughing his head off like a maniac, galloping and leaping his way to liberty.

When he reached roughly half a mile, he struggled to catch his breath and was drenched in sweat. That was when he saw it.

It was a dingy, gloomy tunnel that seemed to have not felt the touch of mankind. After a while, he saw a speck of light in distance. It happened to be a train! As it advanced further towards him, it roused his curiosity. It was a rusty old one, its chimney puffing out clouds of smoke that engulfed him. He coughed and spluttered out, his lungs scorched. He hopped on the footboard, full of anticipation and hope for his destination.



He met an old man, his stained teeth that had once been chewing tobacco. They looked like a cluster of weeds sprouting out wildly, sprawling in all directions. This fella had definitely seen better days, he was sure. His face was haggard and wrinkled like a walnut. It had a touch of gloom and sadness. Richard felt a twinge in his heart when he listened to his story. The both seemed to understand each other's emotions and feelings and shared a special, unbreakable bond. Hours flew by as they indulged in small talk and gradually fell silent, as they watched the sun sink in the crimson sky hand in hand, towards a future of uncertainty.







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Terrific Twelve!

Hi guys! I have crossed yet another milestone! Today, I'm turning twelve! From the time I was in my mother's womb till this very moment, these twelve years have been absolutely exciting and adventurous. The experiences I've had have taught me life's greatest lessons that will always be in my pocket throughout my journey. Turning twelve is often viewed as one of the biggest milestones in a person's life (stepping into tweenhood and much closer to teenage) as it is the last birthday one celebrates as a child and also the first one feeling like a tiny adult! Though I like thinking and planning ahead like an adult would, I still feel, learn and create with the heart of a nine-year-old perhaps. The innocence and creativity of a kid is always greater than the arrogant know-it-all attitude of a teen or adult. I definitely do feel much more matured by thought and response today. I have evolved as a person. Hitting twelve, I suddenly feel so grown up (alm

Baby footprints on time

Hello readers! Here's some really exciting and heartwarming news - Fledgling is turning one! No matter how many things we have done or achieved, those 'first-times' always capture a special place in our hearts. That first-time element is what drove me to write this thoughtful letter to my soul. This post marks one of my most emotional moments, hitting a new milestone with my most cherished partner in this journey, my dear Fledgling. It's been a year since we hatched open, taking a first glimpse of the outside world as soft sunshine peeked in at dawn. Now, before we knew it, we had started flying across the cliffs! It has been an amazing roller-coaster ride this year, definitely not one without potholes and bumps. But the thrill of turning one with something I hadn't even considered urges me to write more and more, as thoughts and feelings gush through. This journey has been a passionate one and we have also remarkably improved over the months of over

Simplicity of truth

Hello everyone! Do you believe in miracles? Well, I didn't until last week. So read on to know my story. Just a couple of days ago, I had my first book fair experience and unexpectedly bumped into some of my favorite authors and orators. My eyes scanned every stall for the novels I had listed the day before and for the posters I had wanted for my bedroom. I did manage to get my hands on a couple of novels at Penguin and many other publications but only after a few hours did the magic happen! Notionpress' contest rush notice somehow caught my eye and I instinctively walked in to enquire on that. That's when I met my now-mentor Ms. Meera Barath, the mind behind Mayaakatha, an engrossing collage of thought bubbles. I had no idea she was an author, so I walked up to her and told her that I was searching for a new writer to explore and whether she could help me find some. That's when she took me to the stand where several copies of Mayaakatha were placed. S