Skip to main content

Toll gate causes much chaos



The IT Corridor is always bustling with activity round the clock with hundreds of busy commuters heading to work. But here at Egattur in Navalur, it is a major setback.



The Navalur Toll Gate is a small, cramped toll gate located in the OMR stretch, bearing too much of a burden especially during its peak hours. The toll gate resembles a huge stampede that seems to have no resolve. 


The peak hours see the toll gate suffocating amidst hundreds of vehicles, all stuck in a long wait which usually lasts 15 minutes or so, or even worse, stretches to half an hour. Troubled residents and commuters frown at the sight of the daunting crowd they have come to witness every day. The fact that the extreme left lane of the toll gate is closed due to the lack of personnel and booths contributes to the daily chaotic jam. 


“The tremendous jam blocks the way out to the residents of few apartments where more than 2000 
families reside. It costs us a huge chunk of our time in the morning and we end up spending half an 
hour at the toll gate”, says a resident of TVH Taus, an apartment that directly links the toll gate. “It is 
also proving to be quite a nuisance as they often shut down one of the four booths. A mere three 
functioning booths for 200+ vehicles only causes more ruckus”, she adds. 


Pouring fuel to the fire is the newly-opened The Marina Mall, increasing the traffic triple-fold during the weekends.    


Every journey of these residents turns out to be a bumpy ride, with too many potholes scattered in the streets that link the toll gate. Moreover, they often find construction debris lying in the potholes, causing damage to their vehicles. The damaged broken roof of the toll gate hanging above the vehicles has also become a common sight now for the past few months.  

In recent years, the dangerously high congestion has even resulted in several accidents the lives of these commuters are at stake. Recently, a senior citizen was almost run over by a van amid traffic and several vehicles were damaged by debris or other commuters in separate incidents. It particularly poses a threat to two-wheeler riders, as the commuters and their two-wheelers stand a higher chance of injury or damage. 


Traffic has been overflowing day by day uncontrollably. The Deputy Secretary of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has promised to look into it and take action.



*Written for The Hindu*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Terrific Twelve!

Hi guys! I have crossed yet another milestone! Today, I'm turning twelve! From the time I was in my mother's womb till this very moment, these twelve years have been absolutely exciting and adventurous. The experiences I've had have taught me life's greatest lessons that will always be in my pocket throughout my journey. Turning twelve is often viewed as one of the biggest milestones in a person's life (stepping into tweenhood and much closer to teenage) as it is the last birthday one celebrates as a child and also the first one feeling like a tiny adult! Though I like thinking and planning ahead like an adult would, I still feel, learn and create with the heart of a nine-year-old perhaps. The innocence and creativity of a kid is always greater than the arrogant know-it-all attitude of a teen or adult. I definitely do feel much more matured by thought and response today. I have evolved as a person. Hitting twelve, I suddenly feel so grown up (alm

Baby footprints on time

Hello readers! Here's some really exciting and heartwarming news - Fledgling is turning one! No matter how many things we have done or achieved, those 'first-times' always capture a special place in our hearts. That first-time element is what drove me to write this thoughtful letter to my soul. This post marks one of my most emotional moments, hitting a new milestone with my most cherished partner in this journey, my dear Fledgling. It's been a year since we hatched open, taking a first glimpse of the outside world as soft sunshine peeked in at dawn. Now, before we knew it, we had started flying across the cliffs! It has been an amazing roller-coaster ride this year, definitely not one without potholes and bumps. But the thrill of turning one with something I hadn't even considered urges me to write more and more, as thoughts and feelings gush through. This journey has been a passionate one and we have also remarkably improved over the months of over

Simplicity of truth

Hello everyone! Do you believe in miracles? Well, I didn't until last week. So read on to know my story. Just a couple of days ago, I had my first book fair experience and unexpectedly bumped into some of my favorite authors and orators. My eyes scanned every stall for the novels I had listed the day before and for the posters I had wanted for my bedroom. I did manage to get my hands on a couple of novels at Penguin and many other publications but only after a few hours did the magic happen! Notionpress' contest rush notice somehow caught my eye and I instinctively walked in to enquire on that. That's when I met my now-mentor Ms. Meera Barath, the mind behind Mayaakatha, an engrossing collage of thought bubbles. I had no idea she was an author, so I walked up to her and told her that I was searching for a new writer to explore and whether she could help me find some. That's when she took me to the stand where several copies of Mayaakatha were placed. S