Skip to main content

Raw and real

Katheyondu Shuruvagide (2018)


Cast : Diganth Manchale, Pooja Devariya, Ashwin Rao

Director : Senna Hegde

Music composer : Sachin Warrier

Genre : Rom/Com

Synopsis : Tarun, the owner of a resort, finds a wonderful partner in his guest Tanya, over four days of togetherness

Rating : ★★★★★



"A slice of quality cinema"

Senna Hegde brings us a beautiful tale of a young resort owner and his depressed guest on a four-day journey. A fresh wave in Kannada cinema, this film tells every viewer how good cinema still hasn't lost its way yet.

Diganth does a wonderful job with his mature acting skills and so does Pooja, a refined actress. The film keeps you glued to the screen, thanks to the polished talents and watch-worthy shoot locations. Not a minute does the film bore you and manages to keep its audience intact throughout the film. The film never makes you cringe at any scene.

Hegde tries to keep the story raw and real (and succeeds, thankfully), but things sometimes go a little too beyond the line, like the forced wedding anniversary scene that looked rather overripe and awkward.  Pooja deserves a special mention as she keeps her part raw and real, easy to relate to our own similar experiences and our emotions. Diganth's dignified acting was also quite admirable. The story  revolves about how Tanya slowly overcomes her loss and gradually softens up to Diganth. The way the shades and hues of each character is portrayed adds another dimension, which lifts the entire film well beyond the mediocrity line.


"Keeps it raw and real"

Another interesting aspect is that every breakdown is kept very natural and not the filmy boo-hoo we have been used to. For me, some scenes such as the one in which Pooja sobs on the seashore, reminded me of the times when I wept bitterly that way. The dialogues remain short and crisp with meaning, respecting the value of every character's voice. 

I also loved the importance the filmmaker gave to nature shots and transparency. Don't expect any cheesy duet songs in the typical hero-chases-heroine-tree-to-tree style, which turns out to be a huge relief. I admire how Hegde keeps the characters very lifelike and nothing larger-than-life. The feelings of loss, anger and betrayal tend to been the ones that affect us the most, which the film  portrays beautifully. The most highlight-worthy aspect of the film is how it truthfully depicts human nature and emotion in its rawest form.

Sachin Warrier has scored very well too, with soothing tunes like Daariya and Bhoomi Baana. The music does a great job in setting the mood and reflecting the emotions on screen. The only flaw is the Good Morning song, a badly shot one and what's more, an unnecessary song too.

However, Pedro (oops, Ashwin) mixes in a generous dose of laughter and giggles in the potion with his wooing of Swapna (Shreya Anchan) and his dictionary. The feature that I love the most in this film is that every character has diverse feelings and both angles are featured in the film. Here, in the case of Ashwin, both his funny side as well as his hurt, tender side is displayed when he is shunned by Swapna. 



The only disappointing ingredient turned out to be the climax. Only at that point does it prod the viewer to think how well the climax could have been. It is very easy for a film to sail through the past the interval and upto the climax, which is where the brains of the filmmaker is put to the actual test. Most good films start off very well but the climax ends up either too predictable or bland. A good film must always have a better climax, while a better film must have the best.


Overall, if you crave a breezy yet moving film to strike a chord within yourself, this is the right
one for you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Terrific Twelve!

Hi guys! I have crossed yet another milestone! Today, I'm turning twelve! From the time I was in my mother's womb till this very moment, these twelve years have been absolutely exciting and adventurous. The experiences I've had have taught me life's greatest lessons that will always be in my pocket throughout my journey. Turning twelve is often viewed as one of the biggest milestones in a person's life (stepping into tweenhood and much closer to teenage) as it is the last birthday one celebrates as a child and also the first one feeling like a tiny adult! Though I like thinking and planning ahead like an adult would, I still feel, learn and create with the heart of a nine-year-old perhaps. The innocence and creativity of a kid is always greater than the arrogant know-it-all attitude of a teen or adult. I definitely do feel much more matured by thought and response today. I have evolved as a person. Hitting twelve, I suddenly feel so grown up (alm

Baby footprints on time

Hello readers! Here's some really exciting and heartwarming news - Fledgling is turning one! No matter how many things we have done or achieved, those 'first-times' always capture a special place in our hearts. That first-time element is what drove me to write this thoughtful letter to my soul. This post marks one of my most emotional moments, hitting a new milestone with my most cherished partner in this journey, my dear Fledgling. It's been a year since we hatched open, taking a first glimpse of the outside world as soft sunshine peeked in at dawn. Now, before we knew it, we had started flying across the cliffs! It has been an amazing roller-coaster ride this year, definitely not one without potholes and bumps. But the thrill of turning one with something I hadn't even considered urges me to write more and more, as thoughts and feelings gush through. This journey has been a passionate one and we have also remarkably improved over the months of over

Simplicity of truth

Hello everyone! Do you believe in miracles? Well, I didn't until last week. So read on to know my story. Just a couple of days ago, I had my first book fair experience and unexpectedly bumped into some of my favorite authors and orators. My eyes scanned every stall for the novels I had listed the day before and for the posters I had wanted for my bedroom. I did manage to get my hands on a couple of novels at Penguin and many other publications but only after a few hours did the magic happen! Notionpress' contest rush notice somehow caught my eye and I instinctively walked in to enquire on that. That's when I met my now-mentor Ms. Meera Barath, the mind behind Mayaakatha, an engrossing collage of thought bubbles. I had no idea she was an author, so I walked up to her and told her that I was searching for a new writer to explore and whether she could help me find some. That's when she took me to the stand where several copies of Mayaakatha were placed. S