Skip to main content

It's Day Two!




Good morning! It is Day 2!


What happened?

Last night was the hardest part we survived through in this trip. The temperature went below expected and we were left shivering and hungry. Three out of four of us have fallen sick. I am the only healthy and energetic one, out of the four of us. Last night turned out to be quite a turmoil for all of us.


And?

Anyways, this morning was indeed a happy one. Just as I had expected, the sunshine and birds were here yet again to wake me up. I started today with a snippet of wisdom from the book Most and More by Mahatria, a book I depend on for my morning motivation. After a short read, I took a short stroll outside in my dad's company, still wrapped up in a warm blanket.
We chatted about deep realizations as well as daily trivia. We walked through the tiny vertical garden, admiring the flowers and plants.
After a pleasant chat, we began getting ready for today's adventure.


What's next?

Just like last night, today's trip wasn't smooth sailing either. After several throwing-up sessions midway (not me, my sister!), we reached our first stop, La Sallette, a beautiful French church built uphill way back in the late nineteenth century. It is a quaint place with a colossal sculpture of Mother Mary, Father Joseph holding baby Jesus and Jesus himself. Below their feet are two angels, two other remarkable creations.

What blew me away was the perfection of the sculptures and their impeccable maintenance. One could never tell its age at sight, for they have been preserved for more than a century and yet, they have not lost their sheen over the years. This place is filled with history and heritage, which is quite obvious through the French engravings in the memory of the people who had been instrumental in the construction of this elegant church.
The serene atmosphere has the power to hush every chaotic soul into a silence. Though I was born Hindu, I never felt any connect with God. I am a karmic person and I have felt that eternal connect only with Nature and my soul within. However, to me, I enjoy the atmosphere of churches not because I believe in God, only because I enjoy silence.


Where are we going next?

After that, we moved on to our next destination - Moir Point, a spot famous for its breathtaking view of the entire town of Kodaikanal. Thanks to our foggy luck, it was totally enveloped in fog that we couldn't see a thing.

The roadside stalls are nothing of the usual here. One can get unique souvenirs to take back home at a very low price. Another interesting aspect is about a floral variety (yes, flowers again) that never withers! I learnt that the flowers can keep themselves fresh and vibrant without water or soil for up to a year! These are native to Kodaikanal and hence, we got three bunches at just Rs.50!


My favorite part




Next, we went to the Queen of attractions (to me, at least) *drumroll*..........Guna Cave!

Know earlier as the Devil's Kitchen, this cave was renamed as the Guna Cave after the Tamil blockbuster and Kamal Hassan-starrer 'Guna' went on floors in the early 90s. The most popular song of the film and a yesteryear sensation, Kanmani Anbodu, was shot right here in these caves. What once was a mere local attraction was directly catapulted to fame by the film Guna and attracted thousands of movie buffs to this humble cave. Unfortunately, public was denied entry into the cave due to unforeseen deaths since a decade now.

Nevertheless, I trek in high spirits, only to be amazed by the view in the forest. The fog, however, only added a touch of mystery here as I ventured deeper. The narrow rocky path in the woods eventually broadened to reveal something I had never seen before.

As I continued on the rocky terrain, I stumbled upon a large strand of the roots of a tree. Only when I looked up did I notice the humongous network of thick, woody, coiled roots where each strand was as thick as myself (if I sprawled over it). It was an unusual and captivating sight, which was the reason behind the flocking photographers.

What I felt...

How ironic is the bond between nature and common man! Probably, nature knew what human ignorance could result in, and hence the coil. At some point, the human mind comes to the verge of shutdown, juggling more than it is designed to. The mind and its thoughts are the ones that can build a castle higher than the heavens and still reduce it to ashes. Thoughts are love. Thoughts are confusion. Thoughts have the potential to crush the tallest barriers and yet tie up a man with invisible chains of worry.

Hence, the coil.

Just beside that was a high view perch on which I climbed. The fast blowing mist could either refresh you (if you visit in summer) or freeze your muscles to the point of seizures and paralysis (if you visit in winter). My case, unfortunately, was the latter.

This experience is something that will always enjoy a special place in my memories.

That brings Day 2 at Kodaikanal to an end.



Stay tuned for more updates!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Terrific Twelve!

Hi guys! I have crossed yet another milestone! Today, I'm turning twelve! From the time I was in my mother's womb till this very moment, these twelve years have been absolutely exciting and adventurous. The experiences I've had have taught me life's greatest lessons that will always be in my pocket throughout my journey. Turning twelve is often viewed as one of the biggest milestones in a person's life (stepping into tweenhood and much closer to teenage) as it is the last birthday one celebrates as a child and also the first one feeling like a tiny adult! Though I like thinking and planning ahead like an adult would, I still feel, learn and create with the heart of a nine-year-old perhaps. The innocence and creativity of a kid is always greater than the arrogant know-it-all attitude of a teen or adult. I definitely do feel much more matured by thought and response today. I have evolved as a person. Hitting twelve, I suddenly feel so grown up (alm

Baby footprints on time

Hello readers! Here's some really exciting and heartwarming news - Fledgling is turning one! No matter how many things we have done or achieved, those 'first-times' always capture a special place in our hearts. That first-time element is what drove me to write this thoughtful letter to my soul. This post marks one of my most emotional moments, hitting a new milestone with my most cherished partner in this journey, my dear Fledgling. It's been a year since we hatched open, taking a first glimpse of the outside world as soft sunshine peeked in at dawn. Now, before we knew it, we had started flying across the cliffs! It has been an amazing roller-coaster ride this year, definitely not one without potholes and bumps. But the thrill of turning one with something I hadn't even considered urges me to write more and more, as thoughts and feelings gush through. This journey has been a passionate one and we have also remarkably improved over the months of over

Simplicity of truth

Hello everyone! Do you believe in miracles? Well, I didn't until last week. So read on to know my story. Just a couple of days ago, I had my first book fair experience and unexpectedly bumped into some of my favorite authors and orators. My eyes scanned every stall for the novels I had listed the day before and for the posters I had wanted for my bedroom. I did manage to get my hands on a couple of novels at Penguin and many other publications but only after a few hours did the magic happen! Notionpress' contest rush notice somehow caught my eye and I instinctively walked in to enquire on that. That's when I met my now-mentor Ms. Meera Barath, the mind behind Mayaakatha, an engrossing collage of thought bubbles. I had no idea she was an author, so I walked up to her and told her that I was searching for a new writer to explore and whether she could help me find some. That's when she took me to the stand where several copies of Mayaakatha were placed. S