Skip to main content

KD Karuppu Durai: Movie Review

KD Karuppu Durai (2019)


Cast : Mu. Ramasamy, Naga Vishal

Director: Madhumitha

Genre : Dramedy

Synopsis : Karuppu Durai, an bedridden man nearing his eighties, wakes up from his coma and runs away from home, when he learns his family has been planning to perform ancient euthanasia on him.

Rating : ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


"Puts a smile across your face"

‌This is a humorous, uplifting take on 'thalaikoothal', an ancient form of euthanasia that placed the shameless monopoly of precious life in the hands of the very children that one nurtures. How ironic, I feel, when one's children can decide when you breathe your last, when it was you who breathed life into their very bodies?

The story starts with Karuppu Durai, an ill man in his eighties, lying in a coma. The film begins with an beautiful, rustic monologue of senile innocence in the raspy, mellow voice of Karuppu Durai. But, to wake this comatose man, all it takes is a whiff of his daughter's biryani to get his engines kicking.

Minutes after his awakening, Karuppu Durai hears something - his children's plans to put him to rest forever. This is when the story will surprise you. Instead of dwelling in sorrow and quietly surrendering himself to fate, he springs up like a teenager and quietly runs away from home, before his children notice the empty cot. There he embarks on the journey of his life, clinging to his only belonging - hope and his desire to live. Ironically, he learns to live when forced to die.

On his journey, you start discovering the youthful spirit that had remained trapped in this old man's heart, with his uncontrollable passion for mutton biryani. You start seeing a child with unfulfilled wishes, and he indulges in living life like there's no tomorrow. That is where he encounters Kutty, an orphan who knows his onions. The film does not race to the future or past, but rather puts you in the very moment. It lets you find and admire the little pockets of joy hidden in mundane life. This film is the kind that will put a smile across your face, and drench you in the melancholic irony of life.



"Emotionally ripping"

This is a poignant tale of how two distinct paths can sometimes cross ever so beautifully, in the most unexpected way. It shows how contrasting differences are not so apart after all, when both nurture the same wish - love. Madhumitha beautifully unites two orphaned souls together, yearning for the same thing - love and family. Eventually, they seek refuge in each other's affection, and does not fail to give that warmth your heart needs.

An emotionally ripping tale that taints a different hue to what love is, and that it does not always have to share the same blood.

It shows how thin a line life and death share, but never forgets to add a pinch of feel-good oomph and certainly does not hesitate to throw in a few giggles in the narrative.
The strength of the script, the dimensions and the emotional depth of its characters, is what sets KD Karuppu Durai apart from the rest. In the second half, though, the story slightly strays off-track, but still manages to come back to form.

At times, it feels like a raw Tamil version of Oru Mutthassiyin Gadha, for the film tries its best to remain optimistic, yet with a few touches of melancholy. But, KD Karuppu Durai holds a deeper sense of meaning and connection, and tries to dig the truth and answers to questions that have kept mankind perplexed forever. After the team gets together, the story does become reminiscent of Oru Muthashiyin gadha, with KD slaying his old demons and reviving the lost joy in his life. 


"Fearless in portrayal"

Thus, two orphans, whose paths meet reluctantly, closely knits their souls, but eventually rips them apart as well. KD Karuppu Durai fearlessly portrays death like a buried secret whose authority and influence over our hearts only swells deep inside, and this film steadily rubs it on our palate and amplifies it, transforming it from a feared whisper to a pronounced truth.

It shows that it is never too late to live a life of your wishes and that life is never too long to while away in despair. This film shows a peculiar companionship that fills your heart with a strange warmth and familiarity.
‌It also points how a painful departure does not mean the end of the road, but the beginning of another,
explores the definition of love and proves that no time and distance can break true love and affection. 

I loved the subtle expression of the film, especially when KD and Kutty's paths separate, quite literally, on two diverging roads.

This film is never complete without its excellent casting.‌
‌Kutty deserves a special mention - he adds the right amount of giggles and innocence (or even more, for you can never get enough of this pint-sized shotgun) to what otherwise might have been a dark film. Beneath these layers of sarcasm and laughter lies a lonely child, frightened of being abandoned yet again. His expressions speak such maturity in the art of drama at a tender age. He seems to have perfected the art, for his finesse is quite evident on screen.

It is also encouraging, in today's times, to see more of female directorial talent rising above the rest, with masterpieces as this.

This is one of those rare gems that you will never want to miss watching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Terrific Twelve!

Hi guys! I have crossed yet another milestone! Today, I'm turning twelve! From the time I was in my mother's womb till this very moment, these twelve years have been absolutely exciting and adventurous. The experiences I've had have taught me life's greatest lessons that will always be in my pocket throughout my journey. Turning twelve is often viewed as one of the biggest milestones in a person's life (stepping into tweenhood and much closer to teenage) as it is the last birthday one celebrates as a child and also the first one feeling like a tiny adult! Though I like thinking and planning ahead like an adult would, I still feel, learn and create with the heart of a nine-year-old perhaps. The innocence and creativity of a kid is always greater than the arrogant know-it-all attitude of a teen or adult. I definitely do feel much more matured by thought and response today. I have evolved as a person. Hitting twelve, I suddenly feel so grown up (alm

Baby footprints on time

Hello readers! Here's some really exciting and heartwarming news - Fledgling is turning one! No matter how many things we have done or achieved, those 'first-times' always capture a special place in our hearts. That first-time element is what drove me to write this thoughtful letter to my soul. This post marks one of my most emotional moments, hitting a new milestone with my most cherished partner in this journey, my dear Fledgling. It's been a year since we hatched open, taking a first glimpse of the outside world as soft sunshine peeked in at dawn. Now, before we knew it, we had started flying across the cliffs! It has been an amazing roller-coaster ride this year, definitely not one without potholes and bumps. But the thrill of turning one with something I hadn't even considered urges me to write more and more, as thoughts and feelings gush through. This journey has been a passionate one and we have also remarkably improved over the months of over

Simplicity of truth

Hello everyone! Do you believe in miracles? Well, I didn't until last week. So read on to know my story. Just a couple of days ago, I had my first book fair experience and unexpectedly bumped into some of my favorite authors and orators. My eyes scanned every stall for the novels I had listed the day before and for the posters I had wanted for my bedroom. I did manage to get my hands on a couple of novels at Penguin and many other publications but only after a few hours did the magic happen! Notionpress' contest rush notice somehow caught my eye and I instinctively walked in to enquire on that. That's when I met my now-mentor Ms. Meera Barath, the mind behind Mayaakatha, an engrossing collage of thought bubbles. I had no idea she was an author, so I walked up to her and told her that I was searching for a new writer to explore and whether she could help me find some. That's when she took me to the stand where several copies of Mayaakatha were placed. S