Skip to main content

9 Skills I Picked Up During The Lockdown





Phew! 

It's been a year since the word 'lockdown' entered our lives, and yet the battle continues. 

The lockdown may not have been awesome for many of us. For the majority, it may have looked like endless nights of Netflix and depressed days. 

But thankfully, in my case, the lockdown gave me food for thought – I wanted to seize the empty hours and make something of it that I will be proud of. I had already spent a few depressed months right before lockdown, not having the time to try out all that I wanted to. All of a sudden, my packed daily routine took a leap and now, I had all the time in the world for myself. I embarked on a transforming journey of truth and learning, with my share of successes and blows. 

I'm going to share with you some skills that I picked up during the lockdown. Feel free to add some to your list too!



Photo by author



1. Calligraphy

Calligraphy was more of an accidental skill I learnt. I had always liked watching videos of calligraphists, and the various opportunities I could explore with this skill drew me to it. Learning something new and being a novice again was exciting. I did what anyone who wants to learn a skill would do, the most rookie thing - look it up on YouTube. 

I tried recreating some I saw on the internet with my pencils, and eventually picked up a few basic techniques from YouTube (although learning from a qualified artist is always your best bet). After a few months of passionate doodling, I wanted to take it to the next level - I started looking for the right tools. Now, I'm in love with calligraphy, and making handmade gifts for my friends and family has become a lot more valuable.










2. Carving

This was something I wanted to try for quite a long time. I started experimenting with old crayons, and pieces of chalk. All one needs to carve is something to carve on, like wax, chalk or soap, and a razor to go along. This is one of those micro-arts that gives you the freedom to try different shapes. Carving is a therapeutic, inexpensive skill you could definitely try.








3. Painting

Despite being connected to art for years, I had not explored painting as much, since I lacked training. But this lockdown inspired me to give it a go, and Pinterest became my first inspiration. I tried watercolour, gouache (and even glass painting) during my leisure time, and since then, painting has remained close to my heart.



(Doodle by author)



4. Doodling

Doodling is one of my favourites among the skills I acquired during the lockdown. Every time I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown, doodling helped me channel those emotions in a healthy manner, and even better, leave me with a beautiful piece in the end. Sometimes, it feels so natural to grab a pen and start doodling whenever boredom hit.



5. Spanish

A language I've always wanted to learn. Although I did not know the language earlier, I had always felt an undeniable connection with the language and the culture. 
To learn a language, enrolling for classes is probably the best thing to do. Since that wasn't possible, I did the next best thing - download Duolingo, a fun language-learning app that helps you learn a language like a local with a community of other learners to connect with. Thanks to Duolingo, I have been able to work towards my language learning goals consistently with plenty of challenges and rewards, and now, I can confidently rank my Spanish skills a good eight.



6. NLP and Psychology

I had always wanted to explore applied psychology for years, and the lockdown gave me that chance. I enrolled in an online NLP (Neuro-linguistic Programming) course created by Kain Ramsay on Udemy, and since then, I have been elated with the results. Besides, I learnt more about the different schools of thought in Psychology through YouTube, of course. Crash Course on YouTube was tremendously useful, with complex concepts explained in layman terms. Through psychology, if there is one thing that truly improved the quality of my life, that would be frame-shifting and emotional first aid.



7. Philosophy

While I continued to explore different concepts in psychology, philosophy expanded my thinking and deepened my understanding. It made me aware of different perspectives and paths of life, and inspired me to take home what I appreciate in each school of thought and apply it to my life. Darius Foroux, whose work is centred on Stoicism, inspires me everyday to reinvent myself and take charge of my life.



8. Moviemaking

Moviemaking was more of a necessary skill to have rather than a hobby choice. New projects that we worked on as a team demanded moviemaking skills as well, so behind each one I make lies days of research, advice, and trial and error.



9. App Development

This is something new I learnt at school this year, using MIT App inventor. Since I began learning to develop apps, I have come across new ways of solving problems that matter to me, from little personal hiccups to tackling social issues that I'm passionate about. It has become my way of contributing to the society. Since then, I have come a long way, and it has become something that gives me a sense of fulfillment and purpose. 




My learnings over the course of time -

1. Constantly expand your mind with foreign concepts to keep yourself at the top of your game. Pursue what ignites your soul and don't hesitate to play with some 'weird' ideas to tap out the best in you.

2. Set realistic goals with achievable deadlines and expectations, to ensure you get the most out of your plans.

3. If you don't meet your deadlines, don't beat yourself up over it. Showing yourself some compassion won't hurt.

4. Don't focus on imaginary streaks. It's real progress that matters.



At the end of the day, all that matters is you being a better, and upgraded version of yourself. Invest time in yourself and grow skills like you would tend to plants in a garden - that garden being your mind. Let's be happier, more fulfilled, motivated, and accomplished versions of ourselves tomorrow!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Terrific Twelve!

Hi guys! I have crossed yet another milestone! Today, I'm turning twelve! From the time I was in my mother's womb till this very moment, these twelve years have been absolutely exciting and adventurous. The experiences I've had have taught me life's greatest lessons that will always be in my pocket throughout my journey. Turning twelve is often viewed as one of the biggest milestones in a person's life (stepping into tweenhood and much closer to teenage) as it is the last birthday one celebrates as a child and also the first one feeling like a tiny adult! Though I like thinking and planning ahead like an adult would, I still feel, learn and create with the heart of a nine-year-old perhaps. The innocence and creativity of a kid is always greater than the arrogant know-it-all attitude of a teen or adult. I definitely do feel much more matured by thought and response today. I have evolved as a person. Hitting twelve, I suddenly feel so grown up (alm

Baby footprints on time

Hello readers! Here's some really exciting and heartwarming news - Fledgling is turning one! No matter how many things we have done or achieved, those 'first-times' always capture a special place in our hearts. That first-time element is what drove me to write this thoughtful letter to my soul. This post marks one of my most emotional moments, hitting a new milestone with my most cherished partner in this journey, my dear Fledgling. It's been a year since we hatched open, taking a first glimpse of the outside world as soft sunshine peeked in at dawn. Now, before we knew it, we had started flying across the cliffs! It has been an amazing roller-coaster ride this year, definitely not one without potholes and bumps. But the thrill of turning one with something I hadn't even considered urges me to write more and more, as thoughts and feelings gush through. This journey has been a passionate one and we have also remarkably improved over the months of over

Simplicity of truth

Hello everyone! Do you believe in miracles? Well, I didn't until last week. So read on to know my story. Just a couple of days ago, I had my first book fair experience and unexpectedly bumped into some of my favorite authors and orators. My eyes scanned every stall for the novels I had listed the day before and for the posters I had wanted for my bedroom. I did manage to get my hands on a couple of novels at Penguin and many other publications but only after a few hours did the magic happen! Notionpress' contest rush notice somehow caught my eye and I instinctively walked in to enquire on that. That's when I met my now-mentor Ms. Meera Barath, the mind behind Mayaakatha, an engrossing collage of thought bubbles. I had no idea she was an author, so I walked up to her and told her that I was searching for a new writer to explore and whether she could help me find some. That's when she took me to the stand where several copies of Mayaakatha were placed. S