Skip to main content

Like sweet petrichor

Dear Comrade (2019)


Cast : Vijay Devarakonda, Rashmika Mandanna

Director : Bharat Kamma

Music : Justin Prabhakaran               
Genre : Romance/Drama

Synopsis : Bobby, a youngster with anger issues, finds love in Lilly, a distant cousin with whom he              embarks on an emotional roller-coaster of its own kind. 

Rating : ★★★★☆



"A crazy emotional ride"

This tale speaks about Bobby, a young impulsive 'comrade', who has anger issues and tramps around his locality thrashing up goons. Bobby is an intriguing mixture of anger and idealism who is confused with his values and ideals. That is when he bumps into Lilly (no, literally), whom he gradually softens up to. The most fascinating aspect of Kamma's thoughts is the way he molds his characters in the most charming way. Watching the breezy friendship blossom into a devastating passion is truly the most delicious part of this film.

This is a kind of film where trivia builds the story. This tale is no cliche love-at-first-sight, for this is going to take you by surprise in the most unexpected ways. It speaks about how relationships come beautifully and leave at the most unexpected and we don't realize their value. What is even more ironical is the irreversible impact when these relationships leave you.

Bobby, our angry youngster and Lilly, the strong yet sensitive sportswoman who fears her Bobby will slip away, toy with our emotions on screen and make you laugh and cry at the same time. It is quite intriguing when Kamma decides to take a departure from stereotypes, like when Lilly declares cricket to be her first love. Even though the lovesick-beard and biking at Leh seems a little cliched, the way he shapes those stereotypes into something fresh and new, like acoustic healing and the recorder, is quite remarkable.

The painful wait of love, when two souls wait to mingle, is beautifully captured and trapped in these two-and-a-half hours. This is a different story as fresh as the first summer shower and as beautiful as a sparkling dewdrop on a leaf, ready to drench you in your own feelings and transport you to a different world. Even though the saying goes "Too many cooks spoil the broth", Dear Comrade manages quite well to break that. It even talks about harassment of sportswomen, an underrated issue. It is beautiful to watch Lilly's 'comrade' pull her out and makes you wonder who your comrade is.


"Like a fresh shower.." 

Kamma is infamous for breaking filmy stereotypes. Here, he breaks yet another - he provides a meaty role for the female lead as well and still steers the film away from turning into a women-centric film and strikes a perfect balance.

On the technical side, Vijay does not require any gimmicks. He and his emotions captivate the audience, while Rashmika disappoints in the first half. Her performance limps its way at the beginning but gathers pace in the second half. She shows emotions quite well in the light-hearted scenes but fails miserably in the crucial scenes. However, Vijay gives an excellent top-notch performance and devours his meaty role to bits.

The music truly sets the mood and sets you floating somewhere high up. After the successful 'Monster', Justin proves his mettle here too, with his unique breezy piece 'Kadalalle', which will easily qualify as the magnum opus of his career.

After runaway hits in a row like 'Inkem Inkem' from Geetha Govindam, 'Maate Vinadhuga' from Taxiwaala and now Kadalalle, the "Sid Sriram + Vijay Devarakonda = Magic" equation is now quite obvious and this doesn't let us down here either. Kadalalle lingers in your ears even after you leave the screen, such is the magic of this piece. Other joyous numbers like Gira Gira and Mama Chudaroo too keep up the spirit of the film.

Every giggle lifts you up and every tear thumps heavily on your heart. This is truly one of the very few masterpiece films that actually achieves more than what it promises. If you're looking for a crazy emotional ride, this is the one you should pick.


Watch Dear Comrade now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Terrific Twelve!

Hi guys! I have crossed yet another milestone! Today, I'm turning twelve! From the time I was in my mother's womb till this very moment, these twelve years have been absolutely exciting and adventurous. The experiences I've had have taught me life's greatest lessons that will always be in my pocket throughout my journey. Turning twelve is often viewed as one of the biggest milestones in a person's life (stepping into tweenhood and much closer to teenage) as it is the last birthday one celebrates as a child and also the first one feeling like a tiny adult! Though I like thinking and planning ahead like an adult would, I still feel, learn and create with the heart of a nine-year-old perhaps. The innocence and creativity of a kid is always greater than the arrogant know-it-all attitude of a teen or adult. I definitely do feel much more matured by thought and response today. I have evolved as a person. Hitting twelve, I suddenly feel so grown up (alm

Baby footprints on time

Hello readers! Here's some really exciting and heartwarming news - Fledgling is turning one! No matter how many things we have done or achieved, those 'first-times' always capture a special place in our hearts. That first-time element is what drove me to write this thoughtful letter to my soul. This post marks one of my most emotional moments, hitting a new milestone with my most cherished partner in this journey, my dear Fledgling. It's been a year since we hatched open, taking a first glimpse of the outside world as soft sunshine peeked in at dawn. Now, before we knew it, we had started flying across the cliffs! It has been an amazing roller-coaster ride this year, definitely not one without potholes and bumps. But the thrill of turning one with something I hadn't even considered urges me to write more and more, as thoughts and feelings gush through. This journey has been a passionate one and we have also remarkably improved over the months of over

Simplicity of truth

Hello everyone! Do you believe in miracles? Well, I didn't until last week. So read on to know my story. Just a couple of days ago, I had my first book fair experience and unexpectedly bumped into some of my favorite authors and orators. My eyes scanned every stall for the novels I had listed the day before and for the posters I had wanted for my bedroom. I did manage to get my hands on a couple of novels at Penguin and many other publications but only after a few hours did the magic happen! Notionpress' contest rush notice somehow caught my eye and I instinctively walked in to enquire on that. That's when I met my now-mentor Ms. Meera Barath, the mind behind Mayaakatha, an engrossing collage of thought bubbles. I had no idea she was an author, so I walked up to her and told her that I was searching for a new writer to explore and whether she could help me find some. That's when she took me to the stand where several copies of Mayaakatha were placed. S