Skip to main content

An Impressive Thriller

Title : Sins of the Father

Series : Clifton Chronicles (Part 2)

Author : Jeffrey Archer

Genre : Crime thriller

Year : 2012

Synopsis : Harry Clifton supposedly gets buried in sea as the war grows worse, leaving the Cliftons in misery and the Barringtons in glee, as his university sweetheart, a Barrington, waits for him to walk down the aisle. He sends one last letter home, before slipping into the skin of murderer Tom Bradshaw and gets whisked away to prison. Will he count the bars for the next six years or will he watch surprises unfold?


Rating : ★★★★★



"Impressive work"

This is my maiden attempt with Jeffrey Archer and I am absolutely hooked onto it.

Reading the synopsis, one might think this is all about Harry, but the carefully woven course of events proves you wrong even before you reach halfway and the fog gradually clears to reveal who this book actually talks about. Rather than Harry, I think the other characters, especially Emma, have a distinct depth to their personalities.

What I really liked in this book is the strength and portrayal of each character. Starting with Emma, my favourite, possesses a mature character beyond her age. Her perseverance and determination kept her undeterred when she discovered the possibility of Harry being his sibling, and we see her love for Harry only growing stronger day by day. Also, she breaks the boy-rescue-girl stereotype and flips the story when she shows courage and strength to get her Harry back, who is rightfully hers. Rather than letting men rule this story, Archer lets women dominate the play with characters like Emma, Maisie, Olga and Elizabeth.


"Ahead of its time"

Archer's willingness to reflect strong-willed female characters and emotionally weak male characters, winning my admiration of Archer's craft. Yet, there is one male character I felt connected to, Sir Walter Barrington aka Gramps. As you might have noticed by now, Emma is by far my favorite character as she outshines every character in the story and stands apart. Her intelligence and wit also accompanies her innate ability and proficiency as an academic. Her assertiveness and confidence is definitely ahead of her times and carries inspiration for women several generations ahead. Emma, a woman ahead of her generation, the story is led by powerful female characters like Maisie and Olga no less than their male counterparts, or in my opinion, worth much more.

The most intriguing part to me was the way Archer slipped in the death of a character. I think Archer knows his craft when we see him amaze readers with just a handful of words. The most impressive part of the book was the murder of Hugo and the final majestic argument of the Lords. The most noteworthy aspect is that Archer doesn't force his perception of the story on the reader; he lets you create it the way you want to. Unlike most authors, he does not thrust raw and weakly written characters and uses each character carefully to its maximum potential.

What I think

I read this novel regularly for two weeks during lunch break, which means I could spare around 15 minutes a day and sometimes, between class shift. This novel is by far the best of this series. To me, it barely left physical presence of myself at class while my mind was flying across Bristol and New York. I am so thankful for having found my lunch companion, which kept me engaged for a fortnight. In my mind, it felt like watching a film in my head. Archer's writing makes you root for your own characters and lets you form a connection. His characters are so grey, real and human, which shows both their admirable qualities as well as their insecurities hidden deep down.

His lucid writing keeps the narrative gripping and makes it hard to put it down, or what I call 'unputdownable'. The last line was delightfully disappointing  and it almost made me tear up when my fingers stroked the very last page and it seemed like it was over too soon, after five hundred pages.

Archer's writing inspires me to write better and slowly learn the art of hooking a reader onto your work until the last page and keep them craving for more. This is definitely a thriller that keeps you on your toes and makes you thirsty for what's next.

Maanasa's verdict : A must-read novel for anyone interested in reading good crime fiction.

If you have already read this novel, leave a piece of your mind here and I'll be happy to know what you think!

P.S - A big thank you to Gayathri aunty for kindly lending this novel to me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Terrific Twelve!

Hi guys! I have crossed yet another milestone! Today, I'm turning twelve! From the time I was in my mother's womb till this very moment, these twelve years have been absolutely exciting and adventurous. The experiences I've had have taught me life's greatest lessons that will always be in my pocket throughout my journey. Turning twelve is often viewed as one of the biggest milestones in a person's life (stepping into tweenhood and much closer to teenage) as it is the last birthday one celebrates as a child and also the first one feeling like a tiny adult! Though I like thinking and planning ahead like an adult would, I still feel, learn and create with the heart of a nine-year-old perhaps. The innocence and creativity of a kid is always greater than the arrogant know-it-all attitude of a teen or adult. I definitely do feel much more matured by thought and response today. I have evolved as a person. Hitting twelve, I suddenly feel so grown up (alm

Baby footprints on time

Hello readers! Here's some really exciting and heartwarming news - Fledgling is turning one! No matter how many things we have done or achieved, those 'first-times' always capture a special place in our hearts. That first-time element is what drove me to write this thoughtful letter to my soul. This post marks one of my most emotional moments, hitting a new milestone with my most cherished partner in this journey, my dear Fledgling. It's been a year since we hatched open, taking a first glimpse of the outside world as soft sunshine peeked in at dawn. Now, before we knew it, we had started flying across the cliffs! It has been an amazing roller-coaster ride this year, definitely not one without potholes and bumps. But the thrill of turning one with something I hadn't even considered urges me to write more and more, as thoughts and feelings gush through. This journey has been a passionate one and we have also remarkably improved over the months of over

Simplicity of truth

Hello everyone! Do you believe in miracles? Well, I didn't until last week. So read on to know my story. Just a couple of days ago, I had my first book fair experience and unexpectedly bumped into some of my favorite authors and orators. My eyes scanned every stall for the novels I had listed the day before and for the posters I had wanted for my bedroom. I did manage to get my hands on a couple of novels at Penguin and many other publications but only after a few hours did the magic happen! Notionpress' contest rush notice somehow caught my eye and I instinctively walked in to enquire on that. That's when I met my now-mentor Ms. Meera Barath, the mind behind Mayaakatha, an engrossing collage of thought bubbles. I had no idea she was an author, so I walked up to her and told her that I was searching for a new writer to explore and whether she could help me find some. That's when she took me to the stand where several copies of Mayaakatha were placed. S